Friday, September 16, 2011

The Title of This Blog


Some of you may be wondering what the title means, or maybe you already looked it up on google or wikipedia. While I am sitting in the Airport waiting for our delayed flight I will tell you. Coming up with a title held up the creation of this blog for a couple days. I was interested in including a dutch word in the title, but I don’t know any dutch. I ended up asking my mom while sitting around the kitchen table at my grandmother’s house. It was evening and we were drinking tea. My mom knows a little dutch, and she stayed with a family in the Netherlands when she was around my age. When I mentioned I was interested in using a dutch word she suggested, Gezelligheid. I honestly couldn’t tell you how to pronounce it. She said that her friend when translating Gezellig, said it meant cozy. But as my mom described it is a very dutch concept that can’t really be translated into english. She described what it meant, I don’t remember her words exactly, so I will quote from wikipedia, which corroborated her definition.
Gezelligheid (Dutch pronunciation: [ɣə'zɛləɣɦɛit]) is a Dutch abstract noun (adjective form gezellig) which, depending on context, can be translated as convivial, cosy, fun, quaint, or nice atmosphere, but can also connote belonging, time spent with loved ones, the fact of seeing a friend after a long absence, or general togetherness. The word is considered to be an example of untranslatability, and is one of the hardest words to translate to English.[1] Some consider the word to encompass the heart of Dutch culture.[2]” http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gezelligheid
It seemed like a good word to use for the title. Well the waiting may soon be over, I hope. Probably 1/2 till boarding or something like that.

No comments:

Post a Comment