Wednesday, September 14, 2011

About this Blog


Dear Friends, and whoever else may stumble across this blog,

This semester I have the wonderful opportunity to spend fall semester in the Netherlands. I’ve created this blog to share my adventures, observations, thoughts, and experiences while I am there and traveling around Europe.
For anyone who I haven’t had the chance to talk to in a long time, or who just stumbled upon this blog I’ll tell you more about this opportunity. Emerson College, where I am currently a sophomore, has a few external programs. One of these programs is a semester abroad in the Netherlands, where Emerson has a satellite campus that takes around 80-100 students from all majors to study there every semester. The Campus is a Castle, ten minutes outside of the village Well, which is 2 hrs from Amsterdam and close to the German boarder. The application is lottery style, so getting in is random, and has nothing to do with the quality of an essay. I consider myself lucky to have had my name pulled from the hat, and that many of my friends are also going, but regret that not all of my friends had their names drawn.
The program in the Netherlands is set up to provide students with the maximum opportunity to travel around Europe. All of our weekends are three days long, and many of the classes on Monday don’t start until late in the day. We also have two what they call “Mandatory Excursions”, though the use of the word mandatory makes it sound like something undesirable, which is not the case. The first one is to Amsterdam, and the second is to Berlin. We also have a week long travel break in the beginning of November.
My friends and I are planning on spending the week long travel break in Italy. I am also interested in seeing parts of the British Isles, Ireland, Scotland, maybe Wales. I would like to go to Switzerland, and some friends are planning a weekend trip to Croatia. I’m also interested in Spain, because spanish is the language I studied in school. The challenge with choosing where to go is that any country I can get myself to will be gorgeous and amazing. Oh, I’ve also heard Prague is a must see. Besides traveling in other countries around Europe, I’m interested in seeing more of the Netherlands than just the Castle and getting to meet some of the locals.
If you have any suggestions of where I should visit, please tell me in the comment section. If you have already told me somewhere I should go, please comment because I probably don’t remember the name of the place, especially if it was a city or village.

Thanks for Reading,
~Heather

3 comments:

  1. Cool, Heather! I'm really glad you're doing this - I look forward to your frequent observations. I hope you find much gezeligheid in your experiences, and that you share it with us! (And you might want to tell other folks what gezeligheid means.)

    love,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, I was planning on it, the origin of the title will be my next post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heather! Maybe you might need to see heather growing on some field in the Isles!! Hope your flight went well. Keep us posted about the transition of living in a castle. Love, Aud

    ReplyDelete