Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Biking, Cows, and Class



Today I went of a bike ride. After class we chose to take a different direction, through Old Well, then past the graveyard. The road wended its way along the river, then passed cornfields with small channels. We came upon a fork, and went right under a bridge. There in a pen were a couple Cows, a couple chickens, a duck, a very small ram, and very small sheep. They were all fairly adorable and meandered up to the fence to say hi. I took pictures, I thought someone back home might be interested, and really they are adorable.




There were a few more forks, we saw two black sheep, but didn't stop for photos. There were a couple more forks. Eventually we came to the main road. There are bike paths on either side of it, and it probably would have taken us back to Well, but there were cars whipping by, as much as cars whip by around here. I was more pleasant to ride back the way we'd come.
I've had all my classes now, my professors for the most part are amazing, and I will be doing a lot of reading. Yesterday evening I had my first Lit class. It went from 7-8:45pm, so I was a little concerned I'd be falling asleep. But the Professor was just so captivating, and funny that I was alert the whole class. I have this Professor for Travel Writing as well. He is the only american Professor I have, and he seems to live mostly in Europe. My World Since 1914 Professor is German, and equally interesting. This will for sure be the best history class I have taken yet. The class I'm maybe least excited about is my Honors class. It seems like we will be doing a lot of reading from this one text book. Once I start reading it, I'll know how that will go. The Professor is a Biologist, studied Human Evolution, and Evolution is the focus of the class. I'm not much for science, or if I am, I'm a physics girl. I never liked biology. So I'm reading the Iliad by Monday, and the Odyssey by Wednesday (not tomorrow), both abridged versions. I'm not so sure about the translation, I've read better (or at least parts of, well I think we read the whole Odyssey in 9th grade). Really in Homer's time, and the earlier translation there was more creativity with the swear words. No one was calling Hera a bitch, the insult would have been more clever and hidden. It is a very modern translation, which makes it a faster read, I guess, and easier to understand what was going on, but I wonder, what are the real words. Anyways I'm excited for all my classes, though a little apprehensive for honors.



No comments:

Post a Comment