Sunday, September 18, 2011

Second day at the Castle


I meant to write this morning, but I slept in instead. I guess I must be adjusting to the “European Rhythm” as they’ve referred to it when talking about jet lag and getting over it. Yesterday, what did I do yesterday, I kinda feel like taking a nap right now. Yesterday we learned about the computer lab and laundry, I rented a bike for the semester, walked into town with my roomies, tried and failed to use the atm machine, and there was a performance in Sophie’s Lounge. Oh and some of us started planing a trip to Bruges for the weekend after Amsterdam.
I guess I should say we walked into the small village of Well, I don’t think it is large enough to be considered a town. There is a grocery store, a bakery, a store called ‘everything under one roof.’ Across from the street ‘everything under one roof’ there is a fenced in yard with goats and chickens. On the way back from our walk I stopped to take pictures and half of the goats came up to say hi. 
This one was especially cute.















These ones too, and there's one of the chickens.














Here are my roommates standing on the corner of the major road. There are two bus stops on this road, and one can get a bus to three cities:  Venray, Venlo, or Nijmegen.


In the evening a couple hours after dinner a guitar and singer duet came and performed flamenco music in Sophie’s Lounge. They were really good, and I understood some of the spanish. I might have just made more sense out of it, because the singer told us the overall premise of each song. Towards the end of the evening they invited audience participation, showing us how to clap, someone played the piano, someone sang, everyone joined in singing La Bamba. A people started dancing. It just became a very fun atmosphere, and by the end of the day I was very tired. I thought about writing, but ending up saying oh I’ll do that in the morning them I read for a short while and went to bed. I wished I had my camera with me at Sophie’s Lounge, but I didn’t. I probably wouldn’t have been able to capture the atmosphere, it was a little bit dim and my camera likes a little light especially since I don’t really like using flash. Here are a few pictures I took today of Sophie’s Lounge.



















I have some ideas I started working on for posts. Expect sometime this week hopefully, the Benches around the Castle, the Castle grounds including the old tower. Pictures from Old Well, and New Well. Tomorrow classes start my schedule is:

Monday
Breakfast @ 8:30
Lunch @ 11:30
Dinner @ 6:00
Literary Foundations @ 7:00

Tuesday
Breakfast @ 8:30
Lunch @ 11:30
Honors Seminar @ 12:30
The World Since 1914 @ 4:30
Dinner as soon as World Since 1914 lets out (6:15)
Travel Writing @ 7:00

Wednesday
Breakfast @ 8:30
The World Since 1914 @ 10:00
Lunch as soon as that gets out
Travel Writing @ 12:30
Dinner @ 6:00
Literary Foundations @ 7:00

Thursday
Breakfast @ 8:30
Lunch @ 11:30
Honors Seminar @ 2:30
Dinner @ 6:00

This is a very good schedule for travel, but as you may notice the middle of the week is very class heavy. I'm also not so sure about all the evening classes. I tend to get sleepy in the evenings, so we shall see how that works out. I guess I'll just have to adjust, and maybe take naps before class when possible. Well that's it for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment